, Police Complaints, ClaimExperts.co.uk

Make A Police Complaint Today!

, Police Complaints, ClaimExperts.co.uk

We Offer A No Win No Fee Claim*

✔  No Win, No Fee*

✔  Excellent Success Rates

✔  Quick Claim Turnaround

✔  Minimum documentation

Have you been mistreated by the police? If you or a loved one has suffered as a result police misconduct, our expert Actions Against the Police solicitors may be able to help you claim compensation.

Here at Claim Experts, we have the utmost respect for the majority of police officers who serve and protect the British public every day. However, the police are not free from repercussions, and if they have acted in an unfair or illegal way you deserve to get justice.

If you have been wrongfully arrested or assaulted by the police unnecessarily during an arrest, you may be entitled to claim compensation. In addition to compensation you can also receive an apology from the police force and potentially enforce disciplinary proceedings to help ensure it does not happen to anyone else.

The figures show that police forces in the UK had a total of 31,097 complaints in 2018/19. These complaints ranged from assault, corruption, discrimination, sexual assault, and general breaches of codes of conduct. If you believe you have a valid police complaint and would like to speak to our Actions Against The Police solicitors about filing a civil claim, get in touch today.


What are Police Complaints?

Police complaints are investigated by the police force’s local professional standards department as well an independent body, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC). This was formally known as the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and changed in 2018.

The IOPC defines a police complaint as:

An expression of dissatisfaction with the way someone has been treated or with the service they have received.

In this sense, filing a police complaint is different to taking legal action against the police. Police complaints can be lodged directly to the IOPC and you do not need a solicitor to do so. However, no civil claim for compensation can be made if you only lodge a complaint with the IOPC.

This is important as, sometimes, an apology from the police might not be sufficient. You may feel you need to be compensated for the pain you have suffered due to your unfair treatment. This is where Actions Against The Police solicitors can help.


What is an Actions Against The Police Compensation Claim?

Actions Against the Police claims are different to police complaints, though a successful police complaint can lead to taking actions against the police. An action against the police case is a civil claim for compensation following police misconduct.

Unlike complaints, actions against the police are usually pursued through the courts. If you are successful in your case, you are likely to receive compensation from the police and have your legal costs paid for.

This sort of claim may involve a number of different circumstances or situations. Generally speaking, a claim of this sort involves breaches by the police of the following:

  • The Bail Act 1976
  • The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE)
  • The Data Protection Act 1998
  • The Human Rights Act 1998
  • The Equality Act 2010
  • The Code of Conduct for Police Officers
  • The Police Code of Ethics

These breaches can occur where the police officer or officers misjudge a situation or use excessive force. Sometimes good police officers act wrongly, and sometimes there are just bad apples. Through these breaches lives can be ruined, which is why the UK police forces pay out significant amounts of compensation every year to those who have been affected.


What are examples of police misconduct?

Actions against the police cases can take many different shapes. However, there are a few common types of police misconduct that we regularly see:

  • Abuse of power – Misfeasance in public office
  • Assault and excessive force
  • Breaches of data protection
  • Death whilst in custody
  • Discrimination
  • Dog bites
  • Failure of police to investigate an offence
  • Harassment
  • Injury through overuse of taser or pepper spray
  • Injury whilst being arrested
  • Malicious prosecution
  • Mistreatment or denial of rights at the police station
  • Trespass to property
  • Unlawful imprisonment
  • Unlawful recovery of property
  • Unlawful stop and search
  • Wrongful arrest

If any of the above incidents has happened to you or a loved one, you may be entitled to compensation. Our expert Actions Against the Police solicitors can guide you through a potential police compensation claim, and talk you through your next steps.


Is there a time limit to bring my Actions Against The Police claim?

Yes, there are certain time limits for bringing a compensation claim against the police, and each time limit is dependent on circumstances. Below is an example:

  • Discrimination Cases – 6 months minus one day from the date of the incident
  • Breach of Human Rights – 12 months from the breach
  • Assault and personal injury – 3 years from the date of the injury
  • Trespass to property or goods – 6 years from the event
  • Unlawful arrest/false imprisonment – 6 years from the date of the detention
  • Malicious prosecution – 6 years from the date of a favouable outcome (e.g. your acquittal at criminal court proceedings)
  • Breach of Data Protection – 6 years from the breach

As you can see, there are multiple scenarios with different time limits. Claim Experts would advise getting in touch as soon as possible if you believe you do have a police compensation claim to avoid any problems with being time-barred.


How can I fund my Actions Against The Police claim?

Claim Experts can offer a number of different funding options for bringing actions against the police.

We can discuss bringing your claim on a No Win, No Fee basis. This means there would be no financial risk to you, as you only pay us if your case is successful. This fee would be an agreed percentage of your compensation. This type of case would be subject to your financial means and the merits of the case.

In addition to this, depending on the particular case, we may also offer private funding options where considerations are made in relation to damages-based agreements.

Our expert Actions Against the Police solicitors will discuss all of this with you on our first, free initial call. There is no obligation to use our service after the free call.


How can Claim Experts help?

Have you or a loved one been a victim of police misconduct? Do you want answers, an apology, and potentially compensation for your suffering? If you believe you have an Actions Against the Police Compensation Claim, get in touch with Police Complaint solicitors today.

Our expert team can help you with obtaining evidence, help retrieve any items retained by the police and are experienced in making strong police complaints to the police or prison service for improper conduct.

We are also fully regulated and authorised by the Solicitors Regulation.

At ClaimExperts.co.uk we make claiming for compensation easy:

  • No Win, No Fee*
  • No Upfront Payments
  • An Expert Team
  • Regulated and Authorised by The Solicitors Regulation Authority

If you would like to speak to one of our Actions Against the Police Solicitors, you can do by calling 0800 0155 687, or by completing an enquiry form.

Talk To Us About Your Police Complaint And Compensation Claim Today.

Our initial assessments in relation to Police Complaints are FREE and they come without any obligations to continue.

After your assessment has taken place and if it looks like you can make a claim, you will then be given the option to do so on a no win-no fee basis.*